Jaunty Static IP address

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Fri Apr 24 21:22:28 UTC 2009

I have a cleanly installed computer running 64 bit Jaunty Jacalope and I
can't for the life of me figure out how to get the dang thing to accept
a permanent static IP address. I have gone into the network manager to
"Manage Connections" and I have added a new connection, specifying
"Manual" IP address and poked in the address, mask and gateway. I even
added the MAC address of the card (very user friendly, it is :-/ ).
Then, not finding a way to "Activate" the change rebooted (even more
user friendly :-\ ). Still, it uses DHCP to get the address. I am a
fairly bright fellow (IMNSHO) who has been doing this kind of thing for
a very long time. It should not be this difficult. What am I missing?

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look
around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe