## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports' ## repository.

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 03:37:21 UTC 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi all,

>>> So do I remove the remaining # from the last two entries, or just leave
>>> it alone?  Thanks.  Your Italian is just fine, I will learn eventually.
>>>
>> Remove it.
>>

> I am not sure that this is the correct answer to what Steven was asking.
>
> Steven, if you remove those hash signs, it means that you will enable
> the 'backports' repository. Please, do enable this repository only if
> you need backported packages for your system.
> Most of the time, this is *not* needed by most of the users, as it
> makes new packages not finished at the time of the release available
> to those who need them.
> If you do your package upgrades automatically - i.e. without checking
> package by package what is going to be installed and choosing only the
> needed ones - I strongly suggest to you *not* to enable the
> repositories.
>
> IMHO you have had enough trouble with your system so far, no need to
> add another layer of possible issues.
>
> FYI: if you need a particular package from the 'backports' repository
> in the future, you can still enable those later.
>
> Then, usually one does not need to remove the hash signs ## in front
> of the lines beginning with deb-src. These repositories provide the
> source code for the binary packages available. If you are not going to
> develop and compile packages, you do *not* need the source
> repositories.
>
> On a final note: the average user doesn't have to edit the
> /etc/apt/sources.list file. There is kpackagekit in the SystemSettings
> or any other GUI frontend of apt where you can choose the repositories
> you want to enable. If you are not 100% sure to know how to handle an
> editor, do not touch such files.
>
> Steven, if you want to learn how to use an editor, be it vim, nano or
> kate or whatever, just make example files yourself and get trained.
> Editing system settings with an editor is not the recommended way to
> learn the use of an editor, you can break sensible things so please,
> think twice...
>

> Regards, Myriam.

Thank you Myriam,

This is the type of advice I really need.  Without understanding, I have
to rely on the recommendations found when searching an issue or the
comments of those helping me from the list.  I now have four editors,
because four people I respect each recommended their personal favorite.
I also installed vim, which I thought was quite different from the
others. It is about 50 -  50 those who favor the use of vim and those
who prefer not to.

I am moving forward much faster now.  It won't be long before I
understand, I believe.  There are little breakthroughs that allow me to
move with confidence and less concern and thought when performing
command issues.  I certainly don't claim any skill yet, but there is so
much that I more understand now.

I really can't judge your feelings about me.  I would like you to know
that I am adamant in learning the proper use of the command line.  I
will never give up my struggle until it is no longer a struggle.  That
is not a rejection of your recommendations, it is just the beast
within.  When I set my mind, I never lose focus until I achieve my
goal.  The only thing that can stop me is my advanced age and health.
But if I live long enough, I will join you among those who understand
the shell and can help those who do not.

I really appreciate this email.  I don't think I need this yet either,
but reasonably soon, like perhaps this coming year.

You must understand one thing about me.  When someone takes the time to
give advice, I generally take the advice and learn the good or bad of it
based on my then abilities.  I will not disrespect someone trying to
help me.

Cordially,

Steven