Difficulty installing Wine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Apr 23 21:55:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 21:22, stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> From the following website:  http://www.winehq.org/download/deblenny, I
> >> chose Method 1:  Add the repository.  I entered ~$ sudo su and got Root.
> >>  I then typed in:  sudo apt-get install gedit and installed Gedit.  I
> >> then added the command:  gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and got the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo su
> >> [sudo] password for steven:
> >> root at Yeshua:/home/steven# gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
> >> No protocol specified
> >>
> >> (gedit:10053): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
> >> root at Yeshua:/home/steven#
> >>
> >> I am over my head again; can someone help me?  Thanks!
> >>
> >> Steven
> >
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > try with gksudo instead of sudo.
> >
> > btw. the wine page for Ubuntu is this one:
> > http://www.winehq.org/download/deb  (without "lenny"! in the name)
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Eberhard
> >

> It still seems to be hanging on 62 of 64.  I am not sure if I am
> installing wine right now or the key.  What should I do.  It has been
> over 5 minutes on that stage of installation?
>
> Steven

Hi Steven. How's it going?

Let's install wine from winehq for Jaunty on your machine.

Step 1: Go to the link below, with Firefox, Konqueror, Opera, whatever.
http://www.winehq.org

Step 2:
Click on the Download button.

Step 3:
Scroll down a bit to "Wine Binary Downloads", and click on Ubuntu, which is
the first distro on the list.

Now scroll down to "Alternative command Line Instructions for Installing
Wine:".

First we want to install the GPG key, so open Konsole on your desktop, as we
are now going to do this stuff on the command line. Scroll down to the line
below. Now you need to highlight the line below, either on your webbrowser or
the line below on my email post. Press left click, and hold the left click on
the mouse when on the line/lines you want to highlight, and slide the mouse
over the line/lines that you want to highlight. The line that shows on your
browser is wrapped on my kmail, so shows as 2 lines in my post. That aside,
move the mouse cursor to your opened Konsole, and do a left click, followed
by a middle click on the mouse. You should now have your highlighted text
showing on Konsole. Hopefully that is so, so now press enter, then enter your
user password, and the key should now be installed.

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key
add -

Assuming that has worked with no problems, we'll now add the wine repo
to /etc/apt/sources.list.d. 3 lines down on Firefox, you will see the line
below. Mine below shows 2 lines, but that is because kmail has wrapped the
line, so it appears as 2 lines.

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/jaunty.list
-O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

Doing as you did for the key, take the mouse cursor to the line on the
browser, or the lines below in my post, and left click, then move the mouse
over the line/lines, until they are highlighted. Now take the mouse over to
Konsole, left click, then middle click,and hopefully what you have
highlighted now shows up in KDE's Konsole. If so, press enter, and the wine
repo's should be installed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

Post back if you have any problems.

If all the previous stuff has gone ok, the rest is easy. Run, sudo apt-get
update, then, sudo apt-get install wine, which should install the latest wine
version from winehq. Now try E-sword again.

I've just gone through this on Hardy, and E-sword now works ok. I havn't yet
added the .bbl files for other bible versions, as I'm trying to find out
where I've saved them, but E-sword is working ok on Hardy, and it works ok on
later Kubuntu versions, but there I installed wine from a source tarball, and
there are a lot of dependencies that you need to deal with.

All the best.

Nigel.