upgrade preparation

nepal.roade at googlemail.com nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:30:16 UTC 2009

Is such a thing possible/necessary?

I am currently running 8.10 with all updates so far and have updated kde to
4.2.1.

I originally decided to try Kubuntu because it was supposed to have a rolling
update feature and I was tired of having to manually mess about so much
everytime a new major version of a distro became available.

So is there any preparation that I need to do to smooth things for the
upgrade.

I will ensure I have a full backup of my personal data.

I haven't done anything weird with the kernels and don't have exotic ;)
requirements.

How about when to do it. My thought is to set it going tonight when I go to
bed and leave it unattended. I connect via a broadband router to the net. Is
this wise to leave it unattended?

I notice a couple of others mention on this list that they upgrade
successfully, so I really really want to try to upgrade this way from now on.
Is this realistic?

nepal.