ubuntu 9.04 + KDE3.5 [long]

chuck adams chuck.adams.k7qo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:42:24 UTC 2009

Here is my experience for those interested.

I installed ubuntu 9.04 April 23rd release from the
MIT mirror.  Having a T3 link helps a lot.  :-)

First thing that I always do before anything else is
sudo apt-get update

and then did the security updates that already
appeared for firefox and another program.

I then went to http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net

and followed the instructions for jaunty.  Just used
cut and paste to modify the files.

Two errors:

before the sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop-kde3
add  sudo apt-get update  to bring in the
added repos, else you will get kubuntuuu-desktop-kde3
missing error message when you try to do the install of KDE3.

Error #2 is failure to install  postfix 2.5.5-1.1 and I did
file the bugzilla report for that.  I did not file the
added sudo apt-get update   bug report as wasn't sure
the bugzilla would work for the login for the ubuntu bugzilla.
My ignorance at work and visible to all.

logged out and relogged into the system with session change to
KDE3 and everything seems to be working as advertised.
It's one of those work at it for a while to see if anything is
broken or changed.

Be forewarned that this technique requires downloading
another 941MB to install.  My disc usage went from 2.1GB
for ubuntu 9.04 to 3.3GB after the KDE3 install.  Not a
problem for me, but for those that keep track of such stuff.

----------------------------

My personal congratulations to everyone that directly or
indirectly worked to get ubuntu 9.04 and kubuntu 9.04
out on time.  Each release is more exciting and gets us
closer to getting the casual computer user converted
over from the other operating systems.  IMHO.

I personally started a class Tuesday for newbies locally to get the
word out and to give guidance to those that may not
be computer literate or need help.  I recommend that
as many as possible try to do the same or we won't be
getting anywhere.  Get the word out.

Along the tutoring thread.  I would like to use (I guess)
one of the VM packages to start an install and get a
screen shot of each installation screen for inclusion in
a document that I am writing.  I am not interested in
getting stuff off the web from others, but the actual
screens that I see and the actual text and information
for my system(s).  TIA.

FYI

chuck