## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports' ## repository.

chuck adams chuck.adams.k7qo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:15:35 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 10:52:04 Steven Vollom wrote:
> This is my first time trying to understand what takes place using an
> editor. It looks like I should perhaps remove the next two sentences (or
> lines) to allow it to do what is pending.  Is that true.  How is this done?
>  Do you delete the lines?  And, is the instruction to delete just two
> lines, or two sentences or complete thoughts?  Logic suggests editing the
> sentences, however I have learned that with computers words are crucial and
> lines and sentences are different.  The whole comment is as follows?
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
> ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> # deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse
> # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main deb-src
> restricted universe multiverse

...snip snip...
> Steven

the last two lines become

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted ...
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main ...

by removing the # (hash or pound sign or octothorpe<name made up by
engineers at AT&T/Bell Labs) and the space so that deb starts in column 1.

This technique will occur many times in system admin work on LINUX/UNIX,
so get used to it.  The ## lines are comment lines that should not be
manipulated, so the writer really meant to say 'modify the two line following
these lines with ##' or something of that nature.  Hard to get engineers
and software writers to understand that writing instructions needs to be
precise and clear.  The above being an example of same.

FYI

chuck