Code to change from read-only file system to read/write file system?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Apr 22 06:13:33 UTC 2009

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:

>> There is the one other possibility.  I haven't entered the pci=nomsi in the boot instructions.  I don't know how to do it, but it was necessary to get a screen when I first installed the system.  Because it was added to an existing command, and some part of the command had been deleted, I believe, I suspect it should be installed in a specific place.  Are you familiar with the entry?  It is for my memory configuration or motherboard 780a chip or the Quad processor, I don't know, it just took me from a black screen to a GUI when I first installed the system.  I believe it has something to do with the video card too perhaps.  Do you want a list of my components to understand if it is necessary.  Heim said it was.

you can try it. Imho it will not do any good but also there will be no harm.
When booting up, Grub is shortly displaying how to enter the grub menu,
where you can select which kernel you want to boot from.

When you enter this menu, you can see which commands are available. Just
read what is displayed. Basically you will need to edit the menu entry
you will want to start from, then add "pci=nomsi" (without the quotes)
and then boot it.

I am sorry, I can't give you more, because I do not have a machine to
test it for now, but you will find it to be easy.

Eberhard