Code to change from read-only file system to read/write file system?

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:53:38 UTC 2009

Hi Steven,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM,  <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Do you have any idea how such a thing could have happened.
No, I don't. I'd like to know how that happened but not now. I also
have an AIX server here having problems with Oracle and I need to sort
that out before midnight so that I can sleep. :)

> I don't even know what vi is.  When I entered the last command,
OK Steven, I think this is the point I need to stop. I'm afraid right
now is not the time for you to learn how to use vi (it is an editor).

The rest are supposed to be added to the /etc/fstab.

> mount  -o rw,remount -force /dev/sda1 / , the command line just returned to
> the root at Yesua: /home/steven# _ .  I assume that is what was supposed to

That's good news. Right now you have a writable root system but this
doesn't do you a lot until you recover your /etc/fstab.

What I am really worried about is if you have lost other files. This
will become quite unmanageable pretty quick.

Maybe someone else on the list can recover you from this error. At
least a couple of things are in the clear now.

- You are missing /etc/fstab
- your root file system is indeed read-only when you boot, most
probably due to a file system error.

If you have the kubuntu CD, it is a good idea to boot your machine
from there. This will give you a bit more flexibility (and hopefully
network connection).