Changinnng to default BIOS settings has created problems.

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 21 18:59:07 UTC 2009

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>> Dear Eberhard,
>>
>> Is a grug command like read/writable?  Would it work?
>>
>>> As I see it, you can try to start your Linux normally, i.e. not in
>>> rescue mode.
>>>
>> I booted using the normal boot process; when it got to a certain point
>> the application stopped at a point where it said Yesua login:  I
>> attempted to follow your instruction at that point, ant it returned the
>> same inability to read/write.  It has been that way for quite some time
>> and failed to continue.
>>

> ok, that means imho that most probably something with your filesystem
> went wrong. You can check and repair it, but for this you will need a
> working boot CD.
>

>>> Furthermore you did a "halfway new" repair install, as far as I recall.
>>> This also might be causing trouble, here.
>>>

>> If I did this, I did not realize it.  Just so I understand, what did I
>> do that was a "halfway new" repair install?
>>

> I understood that you said, you started a repair install and stopped it
> half way down the road.
>

>> Do you have any idea what might have happened to cause this problem.  It
>> happened immediately after booting up yesterday.  I was not doing
>> anything that could be considered a change to my system.  It worked
>> beautifully the day before too.  I did not notice a blink of my room
>> lights or anything that would have relationship to a power surge.
>>

> Well, as we say it, shit happens. It is currently not that important to
> find out why it happend, we will need find ways to do repair.
>

>> Since removing the video card did not seem to improve anything, and
>> since the picture you referred me to showed the exact same appearance
>> with the one shorter pin, apparently the card pins are undamaged, should
>> I reinstall the video card before continuing, so that if I do install
>> the new Jaunty, it will probably preinstall the drivers for the video
>> card?
>>

> imho it does not matter. Both are Nvidia. So you might install your
> external card, once more. For this, set inside your Bios the primary
> graphics adapter to be "external".
>

> If you are still in Intrepid, many changes have taken place in
>
>> Jaunty regarding matters like this.  Jaunty does almost everything
>> automatically.
>>

> I see. It even fails automatically. ;-)))

On a serious point, this is the first crash that had anything but
temporary affect on the computer.  All have been fixed in the updates
and very fast.  I am confident it hasn't been that way for everyone, but
it has for me.  The same things that were on the blink at install are
still not fixed, but they do not have much affect on the normal use of
the computer.  The only one that took a while involved e-sword and it
was fixed by an update.  I remember seeing the title to the repair using
the name e-sword.  The other  is a problem  that may not be fixed; it is
the lack of function of the keyboard screen print key.  I just tried
screen print key and it works.  Hein  told me that the fix for the black
screen I experience was resent in a day.  That speaks pretty well for
Jaunty.  I had lots more trouble when I was using Hardy and Intrepid.
It is not that I am faithful to Jaunty, it has just been an almost
perfect experience, except for now.

Do you know how I am to enter the pci=nomsi instruction?  Hein hasn't
replied and is probably on a commitment.  It may be all that is needed
to boot to a GUI.  I seem to remember that solving a similar problem at
installation.  It is just that the screen has changed since them.  If
you can relate to the screen that has the Energy Star in the upper right
corner, that is the screen that I entered the pci=nomsi instruction
originally.  Now, I can't get the screen to stop on that page.  On the
boot screen, it gives an option for edit by pressing e, that will allow
me to add pci=nomsi, but it is not where I entered it before, so I am
not sure that that is where I should include it.  Entering pci=nomsi did
get me a GUI before though.

Steven

>> When I installed the default BIOS as instructed while attempting to
>> repair this problem, did I return to the BIOS that was preinstalled on
>> the motherboard or to the BIOS that I flashed after installing the
>> motherboard?  If I am with the pre-installation default BIOS right now,
>> how do I  change back to the Flashed BIOS.  The BIOS I flashed was the
>> correct BIOS for my system.  I  only relented to the default BIOS to get
>> the system working more again.
>>

> Forget about this for the moment.
>
> You most likely did not set the Bios _version_ to the default one (this
> is quite hard to do, although your motherboard is using a very advanced
> Bios), you most likely only set your Bios _settings_, i.e. the values of
> all the parameters that you set inside your Bios, to "default", which is
> perfectly ok for now.

When  I reset the BIOS to default, it was just a matter of pressing one
of the F? keys.  I can't remember the one, but I then had to save my
changes and it was done.
>> Do you know if the final release has been posted for Jaunty?  I already
>> have a copy of Jaunty that I made while in Beta.  Should I use that when
>> I reinstall Jaunty, if I can get no more help, or if there is a final
>> release, should I download it and install the final.
>>

> Then you might be patient and wait for the final release in a few days.
>
>    I hate to just
>
>> download what I already have.  If ever you feel I am rushing you with
>> requests for help, I am not.  The several emails that I sent were to
>> show you the things I tried and failed with to reduce options for
>> consideration and not an attempt to rush you.  I am grateful for the
>> help, however it comes, and never mean to rush your kindness.  Thanks
>> again, friend.
>>
> Steven, do not worry, you are always wellcome!

Thanks again friend.  I will make a short comment off List.

Steven