Code to change from read-only file system to read/write file system?

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 21 17:31:59 UTC 2009

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> I am stuck in a command line that is read only.  I want to copy the
>> xorg.conf file and rename it for  back-up and am unable to do so.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Steven,
>
> there must be a reason why your filesystem is mounted read only.
>
> What is shown on the console immediately before you get your logon prompt?

The only thing on the screen is as follows:  Boot from (hd0,0) ext3
fbfd44c)-3370-4760-864d-2b179978ed27
Starting up...

Ubuntu 8.10 Yesua tty1

Yesua login: _

I don't know how to back up a page for more info.  I tried left and
right arrows and page up, but it just put  code in the command line.

Steven
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

Dear Eberhard,

Hein just entered the post.  He suggested that the problem was caused by
a recent update to Jaunty that has been fixed.  He has given me
instruction how to fix and has told me to reinstall the video card.
Part of his instruction was over my head, so I am waiting for an
explanation.  It was good to know that the problem happened to others
too, and that it basically has been resolved.  I have to include
pci=nomsi in the boot instruction, then on a command line request an
upgrade, and all should be well.  I just am not sure I will be able to
upgrade, because I am read only even on a Root# terminal.