Kppp, wvdial & pppconfig

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 20 06:03:37 UTC 2009

Ray Burke wrote:
> I dont understand why need group if when I use a terminal window and
> type sudo wvdial it connects to my isp at 11500 kbps and to

Just to clarify: If your modem is 56k the connection to your ISP
actually is 56k (or less, depending on your line) but the speed between
computer and modem is set to 115200 bps (not 11500 kbps).

> disconnect I type in same window cnrl c, as all I want is to know how
> long online and amount of data is exchanged, and this is done by kppp
> or ppp???????? but when I use these it only connects at 56kbps

Well, you don't need to be a member of the dialout group but if you are
you don't need sudo and therefore you don't need to enter your password
every time you connect to the internet. Unfortunately, when I entered
the conversation I didn't realise that your main concern was the info
about time and data. I don't know if there is a program to get this
information but in the old days when I was still on dial-up with Suse I
had modified the ip-up/ip-down script to write that information to a
log file. If you are interested in that part I could search for it from
old backups. But I don't think I can help you too much do make it work
with Kubuntu (I don't have dial-up). However if you are a member of the
dialout group you may even get kppp to work and then you don't need an
extra program.

Nils