Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Apr 20 00:00:28 UTC 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009 5:06:49 am Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> while this surely is not nice, may I remind you that we are talking
> >> about free and open source software here.
> >>
> >> Afaik you did not pay for it and you also did not pay for support.
> >> So you can hardly expect to get defined problem resolution timeframes.
> >>
> >> Should you need better support, you might consider to use one of the
> >> "enterprise linux" distributions that are out there, waitng for you to
> >> buy them.
> >
> > Why not use Windows, then? You pay for it, you get support.
> >
> > The truth is, that the issue here is not money. Ubuntu is free just as
> > Kubuntu, so why the preference by Canonical devs?
> >
> > I do not think that the OP was complaining that _his_issue_ was being
> > ignored, he was complaining that KDE / Kubuntu specific issues are not
> > be given proper attention by *buntu developers. He is right. I could
> > mention five showstopper bugs in Kubuntu 9.04 but the distro will be
> > released with them anyway. Why? Because the Gnome *buntu varient is
> > ready, and they want to release them together, even though the KDE
> > varient has less developers assigned to it. Canonical's product is
> > Ubuntu and spinoffs such as Kubuntu Xubuntu and others must make their
> > own strides to keep pace, if that's what they want.
>
> Thanks Dotan and Anton, I got it now. At least I think so.
>
> This indeed it a pity for the K(ubuntu) users. If this is correct,
> apparently, KDE users are not that important for Ubuntu. Are we so few?

No, we are not so few, we are just counted a Ubuntu users is all.  Of the 154
Ubuntu users I know, one ...an old Apple II user, is running Gnome.  All the
rest are KDE or Xfce users.  Gnome is just too clunky to use although I DO
like the synaptic package manager.  It works just fine in Kubuntu!  Now KDE4
is a different story, that reminded me of Gnome so skipped Intrepid.  I may
also skip Jackalope if they can't get KDE fixed.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org