Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

GreyGeek GreyGeek at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 22:17:57 UTC 2009

Anton wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> the point is not that I find people bad here,
> I like kubuntu and I dream of a day where I can use kubuntu only, and even install it on pc's of other members of my family which are non tech people.

Nothing stops "that day" from being today for you.  It already is for
many people, including myself and my wife, and several of my friends.

> The point was:
> 1. If I file a bug report I try to do best, ...

When you come across what you believe to be bugs please do.  However,
not every "bug" is indeed a bug.  It could be a misunderstanding, or a
personal preference.  Developers can't and won't do anything about those.

> 2. If something is missing I am ready to provide information  if its not too complicated (I am *not* a Linux guru) and as
>  long as the feedback doesnt come 5 months later.

Most "bugs", if they cause a crash of an application or the kernel, will
leave behind information in the appropriate log files.  You don't have
to be a "Linux guru" to cut & paste snippets of the logs into a bug report.

Also, feedback MAY take 5 months.  Not every bug is a 24 hour fix.
When I first installed Mandriva 2009 PWP last September I discovered
that it would not recognize my G45 Intel video driver, nor the 1600X900
display, so I had to settle for VESA and 1440X800.   I filed a bug
report and followed it from September through February, when a fix was
finally found.  I figured it would take, perhaps, 3 to 6 months for the
fix to filter down from the kernel through the distro to my
installation.   Shortly after the bug fix was discovered I heard that
Kubuntu 9.04 ALPHA5 was at KDE4.2, which I wanted to try because
Mandriva was only at 4.1.3.     I was stunned to see HAL recognize and
properly configure my Intel Mobil 4 Series video chip AND use a 1600X900
display!

With that I decided to give Kubuntu my entire HD and get rid of the
space VISTA was wasting.  Same with XP on my wife's ACER Aspire 3004CLi.

> 3. If the feedback comes 5 months later my thought is (probably other peoples too):
>  - If I do the work  needed to provide the information and then I send the information
>  - and then I have to wait 5 months again

See above.   Some bugs are easy to fix.  Some are hard.  Some are not
even bugs.

> Then I conclude its best to simply wait for the next release because:
>  - there will be one bug report less in launchpad  - less people  will have to read it and spend time on it
>  - I will spend less time myself on it

Not good advice at all.  Kubuntu  is a rolling release.  I began using
it with the ALPHA5 release and have been doing all the updates as the
notifier informs me of them.  I've encoutered a few minor problems, but
no show stoppers.    When Kubuntu 9.04 goes Gold next week I shall be
running the Gold version WITHOUT having to "wait".

You see, Anton,  it was NOT kept secret that JJ was an ALPHA (not a
BETA, but an ALPHA) release.  As such, and the Kubuntu forum warns
everyone of this, there are NO guarantees if you try to use it for
serious work (not that it can't be done -- JJ is doing a fantastic job
for me  currently, with no problems) or in "production".

> We all can use our time for "sensful" things.
>
> And again, even if I am critical its because things can only be improved if you are a little bit critical.

Being "critical" isn't helping a bit.   In fact, it adds more heat than
light.

You are not familiar with the Open Source paradigm, are you?   I did not
pay for Kubuntu.  I have not paid for any of the updates or the other
fruits of the volunteers labors.  They are all free.  However, the
mantra for the  FOSS community is "Release early, Release often".
Why?  Because the FOSS community shows their support for the FOSS
developers by helping them debug the software AND reporting the bugs or
problems they find.. BUT... on the bugzillas, NOT a help forum like this
email list.   You did notice that this email list is not designed to be
a bug reporting vehicle didn't you?    The Jaunty Jackalope Testing and
Discussion forum
(http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=352 ) has a
GREEN box in the title page which leads to the following instructions
for reporting bugs:

*"/report bugs using ubuntu-bug rather than going directly to Launchpad./*

/This automatically includes as much information as we can collect about
your problem, without any additional work on your part. It’s easy!/

/$ ubuntu-bug network-manager      # report a bug on Network Manager
$ ubuntu-bug linux                # report a bug on the Linux kernel
/

/ The man page for ubuntu-bug contains more examples./"

*What could be more easy than that?*

There many, many Linux help forums and emails  lists like this one.  A
developer does NOT have time to visit each forum in order to glean
useful debug information from "app x sux" messages.  He does, however,
REGULARLY visit the bugzilla to which "ubuntu-bug" files reports, and
where they are grouped, collated and analyzed by the developers.

If you don't want to help out by testing Jaunty then don't complain
about it.   Just use the previous, RELEASED version which has the bugs
worked out.
GG