Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sun Apr 19 11:27:44 UTC 2009

Anton wrote:

> If you go on www.ubuntulinux.org
>
> And read:
>
> About Ubuntu
> Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is
> perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications
> you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software,
> instant messaging and much more.
> And you read again:
> The Ubuntu promise
> Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and
> security updates.
> Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of
> companies around the world.
> Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure
> that the free software community has to offer.
> Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use
> free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
>
> What does this mean for me and others.
>
> 1. There is a nice software
> 2. its free (wonderfull)
> 3. You are *invited* (more or less) to use it
>
> SO...
> 1. if you propose on a big website well known by many people a software
> product to download, then the people assume it will work. They do not assume
> to be invited to *beta test* a product.
> 2. if you provide a bug tracker telling people to file bugs to improve the
> quality and so on ... then the people think its an active system, they help
> by sending bugreports hoping to help improve the product, and in return to
> profite themselves later by getting some day a software with less bugs.
>
> Its clear (or perhaps not 100%) that (perhaps not all) people working on
> (K)ubuntu are paid for this, doing it in their free time.
> But there is a limit somewhere: If I get no feedback/fix or whatever ... if I
> get no answer (even a silly one like "wait some weeks") then I will start
> think that its worthless to comunicate.
> And if you provide a bugtracker ... it makes only sense if:
> 1. people use it to give feedback/file bugs
> 2. some other people use it to fix
>
> Otherwise it should be clearly stated that this is a *private club*, where
> *you can expect nothing*, and that you should be a *developper* in the areas
> you want to use to fix your bugs yourself.
> But the (K)ubuntu says: I am a nice Linux desktop system for anybody (normal
> user) and a alternative to MS Windows (if I remember right).
> Anton

okay, again, bug handling surely has a lot of room for improvement.
And the Ubuntu guys are working hard to keep their promises, but imho
they are not there, yet.

While I fully agree with all of your conclusions, I would think that
Ubuntu is _not_ the ideal OS for anybody, just like Windows and any
other OS fopr that matter is not ideal for anybody.

regards
Eberhard