Astronomy and Computerised Telescopes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 18 13:36:53 UTC 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009, David Fletcher wrote:
>I'm wondering, does anybody here use computer controlled telescopes with
>Linux?
>
>I've always rather fancied having a telescope, and these days I could afford
>to buy the new Meade model which automatically aligns itself using a built
> in GPS receiver and digital sensor.
>
>The potential problem is, that AIUI the controllers for these need to be
>updated for new comets, path changes of asteroids due to gravitational tugs
>from other objects they pass, etc. The Meade site only mentions support for
>Windows. So, does anybody use these instruments with Linux? If so how?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave

One at least, of the night sky programs we have does have a driver for the
Meade's.  Celestia maybe?  Stellarium?  I had several of those that were a
victim of an emergency re-install.  Unforch, my DS-10's motors don't have such
an interface as its nearly 25 years old.  I have been meaning to address that,
but it seems the time & the money for decent driving gears haven't coincided.
Just reinstalled both of those but don't see a telescope controller in the
options for either.  But I know we did have such a beast.  You might google
for it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)