Hard drives rambling, was Re: [mostly solved] Fish won't work (long)

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 17 22:11:49 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 12:56:23 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> GreyGeek wrote:
>
> > Thorny wrote:
> >> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:32:09 +0200, Myriam Schweingruber posted:

> >> Myriam, would you please reply to the thread you want to answer, just
> >> sticking your post and comments in just anywhere makes things more
> >> confusing, even when they do reference the subject correctly. If you
> >> couldn't follow how it changed to OT, perhaps it's because you didn't
> >> read the whole topic before answering. Then you broke threading. To use
> >> your phrase, is it so difficult?
> >>

> > I'll have to agree with Myriam  on this one, Thorny.
>
> I [marginally] agree with Myriam ...
>
> > If thread content
> > isn't kept to the subject line then chaos reigns
>
> "marginally" because chaos is good :-)
>
> But Thorny's point is right regardless.  This is at least the second time
> I've seen Myriam make this complaint - by starting a new thread.  You can't
> expect people to understand the complaint unless you _keep_ the complaint
> in the thread you're complaining about.  And those people who are most
> upsetting her will probably never even realize it...
>
> > and it will be
> > difficult to find solutions to problems later on.   Rather than
> > hijacking a thread and its readers starting a new thread with an
> > appropriately labled subject line is the right thing to do, and that
> > isn't so hard either.
>
> Hijacking is one thing - and it annoys the heck out of me - but thread
> _drift_ is perfectly normal and imo totally acceptable.  The longer a
> thread exists, the less resemblance it ever has to the original post - but
> that doesn't mean that somebody should have changed the subject anywhere
> along the line.  I prefer not to ever change subjects - because some people
> only thread by subject - unless there's an abrupt change of topic.
> --
> derek

My error was that I thought the topic was transferring data from one drive or
computer to another.  I thought if the problem continued, like it did for me,
the solution I gave might be useful.  It worked for me.  Fish was among
several ways that I had trouble, when I was doing the same task, with just a
little more data to transfer.

I really am trying to do this right.  I guess it will just take more time to
learn.  Right now, I have stopped posting many times, or posted to friends off
list, because I just don't understand some of the rules.  I am continually
getting told to get back on the list with my questions so others can benefit.

My level of ignorance is hard to deal with apparently, but the List is my
primary source for help.  And who among you needs help more than I.

Steven