How to stop updates notifier daemon on Intrepid 8.10

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue Apr 14 18:28:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 2:03:30 pm Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have  a bunch of distro's installed, and being on dialup, like to
> > save bandwidth.
> >
> > When I fire up Kubuntu Intrepid, some daemon is started which phones
> > home to get notifications of  available updates. This was verified
> > when I tried to run "apt-get update", and was told that there was an
> > active lock on accessing the file. I tried again, when gkrellm showed
> > the incoming traffic had stopped, then "apt-get update" ran ok.
>
> IIRC, I uninstalled the package "apt-xapian-index" to stop the madness.
> Granted, "madness" may be a bit harsh but I don't like automatic
> updates or other sort of phoning home.
>

> Nils

That did not stop any auto-updating, as apt-xapian-index has nothing to do
with updating your package list from an apt repository. Rather, it updates an
index on  your system with package information, for use by Adept. I believe
it gathers its information after the package info has been updated.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/apt-xapian-index

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net