Plasmoids and Power Consumption

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:42:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I installed 16 of the system info plasmoids on my computer.  I just noticed
> that with only Kontact waiting for messages, 7111mb of memory are being
> consumed.  Is it possible that these plasmoids could be using that much
> RAM?
>
> I like them, but not that much.  With 8gb of RAM, I didn't think I could
> use
> that much.  I have less than a gig remaining, for normal operation of the
> computer.

What tool are you using for the statistics?

Linux will try to use all memory available, where useful.  Why have unused
RAM, when you could be caching, etc.?

I have installed a plasmoid that shows memory usage, distinguishing between
completely unused, used for cache, and used directly.  Even with 4 GB of
RAM, it is almost always mostly cache.

In other words - you probably have 6+ GB of RAM for normal operations, even
with 7+GB being used.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf