Root partition read-only

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:25:07 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I'm having a strange problem. Today, for the second time, when booting
my computer (a Dell Laptop), mounted my filesystem as readonly (jfs
for the matters).

The first time this happened was during aprils fool, when I couldn't
get it to mount the filesystem correctly for some time (rebooted the
system 5 or 6 times before it actually mounted it as r/w).

Today it happened again.
The only thing in common that i see is that, both times i was running
on batteries. And when connected the power the problem got away. I
can't see to find ways to reproduce it.

But I think it might be related to the fact the fsck is not ran if the
system is on batteries. So, it might be that the fs gets corrupted by
some reason, and on reboot its not clean, and hence mount can't
remount it r/w (thou I haven't seen any message indicating this).

Anyways, has anybody else experienced it?
I've opened bug #361023 to report this problem.

Thanks in advance.