Jaunty: How do you activate video acceleration?

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:53:48 UTC 2009

On 13/04/2009, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> Alan Dacey said...
> > marc wrote:
> > > Alan Dacey said...
> > . . .

> > > $ lspci says
> > >
> > > nVidia GeForce Go 6600
> > >
> > > This is a laptop. No probs with video since badger.
> > . . .
> > >

> > I am going to guess that the GeForce 6600 & nVidia driver is the issue.  My
> > son's machine had a GeForce 6200 LE and it gave me some problems at first.  I
> > couldn't get Tux Racer or Extreme Tux to play in full screen.  The monitor would
> > go blank and the only way to get it back was to restart kdm.  I installed the
> > 177, 173 & 169 drivers and it did not work until I got to the 96 drivers.  I had
> > the 173 working fine in Hardy but not in Intrepid, I think it is a KDE 4 thing.
> >   Try going down the line and see if that solves the problem using the
> > nvidia-glx-### packages.  I couldn't tell the difference between the drivers,
> > except for the full screen thing.
>
> Thanks, Alan.
>
> I've pretty much given up on this one. I'll progress it on launchpad.
> It's a royal pain not being able to use Ctrl+Alt+F? consoles, though.

if you're going to play games, i advice you to disable compositing. it
has a shortcut you can check in systemsettings. just toggle it off
before u start a game, this will disable all effects. and then toggle
them back on when you're done playing. compositing can seriously drop
your frame rate, and create weird effects in full screen applications.
i play gl-117, it can run with all graphic options at max with a 20
FPS rate. when compositing is on, i need to drop the graphic options,
and still barely get 5 FPS.
this is really annoying, when a full screen app is started, effects
are NOT supposed to continue running, there's no desktop to operate on
anymore, yet, they continue doing random nonsenses drawing in the
background.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems