Setting the screen grid size

John Desmond jdesmond at fast.net
Mon Apr 13 21:57:30 UTC 2009

Salutations, gentlefolk!

<<

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:32:54 -0400
From: Tony Sivori <TonySivori at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Setting the screen grid size
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:48:18 -0400, John Desmond wrote:

 > > Salutations, gentlefolk,

 > > In Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-14, KDE 3.5.10:

 > > After left-clicking on the Desktop, getting the 'Configure - KDesktop'
 > > menu, and clicking the  'File Icons' tab:

 > > How do you adjust the 'screen grid',
 > >   so that if you have set the icon size to '22'
 > >    (under 'System settings / Appearance / Icons / Advanced'),
 > > and you click 'Automatically line up icons',
 > >   it will distribute them evenly,
 > >   not mash them together in clumps with wide gaps between ?

If you place the icons where you want them, then right click the desktop
and select icons > sort icons > align to grid, then you should get what
you want.

You may have to move a few icons by hand, if the automatic process sets
them in a grid spot adjacent to the one you wanted. Once you set them,
they should stay put, assuming you don't change video resolution.

-- Tony Sivori

Unfortunately, that results in a total and abject fail

The standard screen grid is 5 lines horizontally, 11 lines vertically.
I would like to increase those numbers (ie, make a 'finer mesh' of the
grid) to about 8 and 14.

As I've already got 63 icons on my desktop, and plan to add more, going
'align to grid' produces 'heaps' of icons at some 'intersections'.

'Twould be nice if there were an 'undo' command to reverse your
suggestion - as it is it seems as if I've now got a half-hour wasted
trying to get my desktop back into order.

Yours, John Desmond