Kppp, pppd and Dialup Internet

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 05:46:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 12:28 +0800, Irena & Richard Jenkins wrote:

> PS   To developers: Please don't neglect those of us who are
> restricted to dialup.  I note that dialup is being moved over in
> favour of adsl type connections in newer distributions.  I am reduced
> to a mini- linux (puppylinux) just to have connectivity for the
> present.  Kubuntu runs so well on this 400MHz VIA-engined computer
> with 512 Megs of RAM, that it's a shame to not be able to use it to
> connect to the world.  Thanks again

First off, as a former sysop of an 8 line BBS, your init string is the
single most crucial part of your modem setup. Google around for a good
init string for your modem.

Second, not all copper lines in an older home are modem serviceable.
Clean your copper connections from the wall jack clear out to the telco
base. If you're paranoid, run a fresh run of telco wire from the wall
jack base (heck replace that too!) to the telco box. Sometimes that will
make all the difference and, if nothing else, you have no further
concern with your wiring.

If you live out in the toolies, you may not be able to go faster than
28.8. I had to use an init string in my script that disabled 56k. You
may wish to try that, look in your modem manual for that setting. Test
with that. If that works, enjoy. Later try running full speed. If that
fails, you have your fall back position. I agree with your statement
that modems are given short shrift and I raise hell about it on sites
with a lot of video content that will not stream successfully at slow
connect speeds, and that they should provide a download option. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987