my laptop webcam not working in juanty

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Sat Apr 11 18:22:50 UTC 2009

Ronnie Ronnie wrote:
> i have compaq presario CQ40, and i cant use my web cam because i dont know what is the appropriate driver or program to use it..but when i use kopete,and open the settings for web cam it is working,but when i start to chat no one can recieve my web cam and i cant also accsess their webcam....i tried to finding programs that can test it but i was dissapointed...anyone can help me guys!!!!???

Do a:
'lsusb' (without the quotes) from a terminal -- it will give you an output of all your USB
devices (yes, the integrated webcams are USB devices).
Amongst the listings you will see something similar to:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05a9:2640 OmniVision Technologies, Inc.

The above is the listing for my intergrated webcam on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Once you have the info it will be easier to find more help on Google, or here.

As for a program to check if your webcam is working properly, 'cheese' is a good choice:
'sudo apt-get install cheese' (without the quotes).

I have heard that getting webcams to work on Kopete is a bit of a hassle.... perhaps better on
Jaunty.....

Blessings,

Nigel