Using Okular as CHM viewer

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Apr 7 12:26:12 UTC 2009

Alvin wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009 11:12:09 Alvin wrote:
>> I'm trying to view .chm files with Olular. (version 0.8.2 in Jaunty beta)
>>
>> It doesn't work, stating that there is no plugin.
>> However, okular-extra-backends is installed. This should contain the CHM
>> plugin.
>>
>> Do I have to install some extra package?
>
> Answering my own question:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kdegraphics/+bug/277007
>
> Pity, because installing libchm1 doesn't seem to fix this. It's a wishlist
> now, but the false description (see $ aptitude show okular-extra-backends)
> should be removed.

Ok, but you can use alternative viewers, should you absolutely need to
view chm files.

eberhard at grey:~$ apropos chm
chm2pdf (1)          - A tool convert chm to pdf format
chm_http (1)         - Simplistic web server to allow browsing of chm
files without extracting them.
chmod (1)            - change file mode bits
DBI::Profile (3pm)   - Performance profiling and benchmarking for the DBI
enum_chmLib (1)      - Lists the contents of a chm file.
enumdir_chmLib (1)   - Lists the contents of chm file(s).
extract_chmLib (1)   - Extracts a chm file into a directory.
kchmviewer (1)       - Windows CHM viewer for KDE
test_chmLib (1)      - Extracts a file out of a chm file.
xchm (1)             - Compiled HTML Help (CHM) file viewer for X.

kind regards
Eberhard