Forking

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Apr 6 06:45:12 UTC 2009

Paul Lemmons said...
> marc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering forking a package. The thing is written in C, however,
> > which would be fine, imo, if it were a driver, embedded, or some low
> > level function (or it was the early 80's), so I'd prefer to refactor it
> > in something a little less esoteric/tortuous.
> >
> > Does anyone know the language limitations of Kubuntu packages?
> >
> > In fact, if someone knows a good reference for, "So, you want to write a
> > .deb?" then I'd appreciate the pointers. Thanks.
> >
> I am afraid your question itself has dome problems. C is a programming
> language and .deb is a packaging system. You are comparing apples to
> Volkswagens.

Thanks, but I know the difference between C - and many other languages
over the years - and a .deb.

> Most programmers do use C or C++ for their language. Most compiled
> programs, that is. I don't know of any Fortran or Pascal, though it
> probably exists. Python and Java may be considered a compiled language
> if you stretch the definition a bit. Programs written in interpreted
> languages are very varied.

I'm trying to find out which languages are acceptable to the distro
building folk. I appreciate that compiled languages are okay (e.g. C and
C++), but don't know about runtime languages - I appreciate that some
runtime languages can be compiled (into standalone executables).

> The terminology "forking a package" is to take an existing package and
> use it as a base for taking it in a different direction that the
> original authors.

Yup.

> It is not a complete rewrite in a different language.

Might be. After all, you can replicate behaviour in a different
language, and the extend.

> If you want to do that, you start your own project from scratch and code
> it in whatever language floats your boat.

See above. I know I can write it for myself in any language, but I'd
prefer to write something that might be acceptable to the distros.

For example, I could write something in Java, but that presupposes Java
is in the distro. Ditto, say, c# and mono. And what about ruby, or
jruby? That's what I'd like to ascertain.

--
Cheers,
Marc