Jaunty VM login screen failure

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Apr 5 21:06:28 UTC 2009

I'm playing with a Jaunty VM running under VirtualBox.

I restored a backup of my home directories to the VM and restored the user
accounts by editing the passwd, shadow and group files.

I can log in to the VM using my restored account ID and password and use it.

But when I log out the log in screen is black. I can get it to display by
telling VirtualBox to close the machine then cancelling the options box but
it does not respond. I can only log in again by powering off and restarting
the machine.

Any ideas please?

Dave