8.04, cant't connect to wireless net with WEP key

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Sat Apr 4 21:20:46 UTC 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2009 7:05:48 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:

>>> Hm I must ask a very silly question, suppose the key is is set to HEX
>>> but the passwd is
>>> MyHexPa55w0rd
>>>
>>> shall I then type MyHexPa55w0rd or the
>>> hex aquivalent of MyHexPa55w0rd which might be
>>

> I found that the passphrase doesn't work. I can't even remember how far back
> if at all it even worked. I have always had to enter the hex key.
>
> now days I quit using encryption all together and just use mac address
> filtering.

you are aware of the fact that people may still sniff around in your net
work if you restrict the access this way?

BTW (slightly off topic) in some places as as airport I have been
confronted with a third way of connection.
It seems like a open wireless network,  but once you open a browser and
try to connect, then a access page is open in which you have to type
user
password.

what sort of configuration is this and how secure is this.

Uwe