8.4 and PAE addressing

Tony Sivori TonySivori at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 16:51:38 UTC 2009

I have an 8.04 Kubuntu install that is about as close as it gets to
computing nirvana. Now I'm moving from my aging single core P4 to a quad
core machine with 4 GB of ram expandable to 8 GB.

Since I really like my current install, I plan to use Remastersys to clone
the current install to the new hardware.

I've done a substantial amount of Googling, and it appears that PAE
addressing is not enabled in the Kubuntu kernel. Which of course
results in the OS only seeing about 3.5 GB of ram. Worse yet, it appears
that enabling PAE requires recompiling the kernel (something I've never
done) and based on what I've read the recompile will not play nice with
future Adept updates.

Other than a fresh install of 64 bit Kubuntu, have I overlooked an easy
solution?

--
Tony Sivori