8.04, cant't connect to wireless net with WEP key

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 15:06:12 UTC 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009 03:36:30 David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2009 7:05:48 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > Hm I must ask a very silly question, suppose the key is is set to HEX
> > > but the passwd is
> > > MyHexPa55w0rd
> > >
> > > shall I then type MyHexPa55w0rd or the
> > > hex aquivalent of MyHexPa55w0rd which might be
> > > 4d 79 48 65 78 50 61 35 35 77 30 72 64
> > >

> > > Uwe
> >
> > If your key is 'MyHexPa55w0rd' then that is a passphrase, not a hex key..
> >
> > :) In which case you would need to set Key Type to 'Passphrase'.
> >
> > I've only ever used Hex Keys - my router gives me the option of a
> > 10-digit hex key (eg 01 23 45 AB CD) or a Passphrase (eg MyHexPa55w0rd).
> > I always use the 10 digit Hex Key because I've always had trouble with
> > getting Passphrases to work.
> >
> > What happens 'behind the scenes' when you use a passphrase is that some
> > algorithm turns it into a hex key anyway.
>
> I found that the passphrase doesn't work. I can't even remember how far
> back if at all it even worked. I have always had to enter the hex key.
>
> now days I quit using encryption all together and just use mac address
> filtering.

This might explain why I can never connect to a certain network that I only
have the passphrase for, all other networks I connect to I generally have the
hex key.

As someone else mentioned, am I right in believing there is an algorithm that
converts the passphrase to the hex key? If so, could this algorithm be wrong?