excessive /boot entries

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:39:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Tommy Trussell wrote:
>
>> but recently upgraded a system from
>> Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10, and the upgrade process removed lots of cruft
>> including old kernels.
>>
>> Another way to do the same thing is to use the autoremove command in
>> the package manager...
>>
>> open a terminal and type
>>
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get autoremove
>>
>> (Synaptic has a similar feature, but I don't know about the KDE
>> equivalent.)
>
> None of them will automatically remove kernels, unless you've explicitly
> modified /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove

I must be remembering the upgrade process -- it definitely DOES remove
old kernels. The rescue disk process might, too -- I just did that to
this machine (it was 2am and I overreacted to a SAMBA bug and hosed
everything).

I just tested and you're right -- I have one old kernel and autoremove
did not offer to remove it. thank you for the clarification!