Monitor Resolution - SOLVED

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:45:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Brian Blater <brb.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased an Acer X223W 22" monitor. The monitor looks and
> works great with my MAC or Windows, but for the life of me I can not
> get it to function at full resolution (1680x1050) with linux. I'm
> running Kubuntu Ibex with an Nvidia 8600 GTS card and using the Nvidia
> 180.29 driver. I'm not a real xorg guru, but I at least have an idea
> of what things do what, but I just can't get this setup to run at full
> res - I get 1024x768.
>
> Can anyone give me some help getting this configured correctly to use
> the 1680x1050 resolution?

Well, I discovered the problem was the KVM. I completely forgot about
how this might interact with the monitor as it has always worked
before, but that was because everything I was doing up till this new
monitor was within its capabilities. I swapped it out with another KVM
(after checking it max res) and everything just automatically worked.
Life is wonderful again.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get my "thinking hat" back on.

Brian