using kontact and IMAP

Lindsay Mathieson Lindsay.Mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 21:07:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:42:51 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Essentially when you use IMAP nothing is downloaded until you ask for it,
> so don't expect to be able to use it offline.

That's what Disconnected IMAP mode in Kontact is used for, it initially
downloads (syncs) the entire folder tree and all the new emails after that.
Works offline a treat. Wouldn't want to sync a gigabyte of google emails that
way though. I use it with my home email server via a local lAN.

> > On the other hand, it
> > would not be very practical for me to automatically download every
> > (huge) e-mail folder. That's why, my question is: it is possible to
> > determine from case to case whether I want to download 1 or more
> > e-mails or not?
>
> Possible, yes; practical ?  I'm not sure.

I dunno if its even possible with IMAP, its just not designed that way. More
the job for one of those POP preview clients.
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/