excessive /boot entries

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:44:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 04:46, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's not only that it was several version of one kernel it was several
>>> different kernels like generic, server and virtual and every one of
>>> those kernel had perhaps 4 versions so I think it's a valid questions.
>>> On a desktop you probably only need the generic kernel.
>>
>> Also, on most cases kernel updates overwrites the last one. Just once
>> in a while you endup with two kernels on your system (by two kernels I
>> mean two generic ones, like 2.6.27-7-generic and 2.6.27-11-generic).
>
> Ah, right.  I confess to have been not thinking clearly at the time :-)  If
> you're getting automatic updates, it's probably actually no more than half
> a dozen _different_ packages (as opposed to updates of the same package).
>
>> Another point to be noted is that, from my experience, kernel updates
>> are rolled mainly during the first two or three months after the
>> release, after that, usually, i don't see any kernel updates.
>
> I'm _still_ seeing regular hardy kernel updates.  Last one on the weekend
> (but as you note, it's an update of 2.6.24-24, not a new package).

I'm not running Kubuntu right now, but recently upgraded a system from
Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10, and the upgrade process removed lots of cruft
including old kernels.

Another way to do the same thing is to use the autoremove command in
the package manager...

open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get autoremove

(Synaptic has a similar feature, but I don't know about the KDE equivalent.)