excessive /boot entries

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:58:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 04:46, Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Antonio Augusto (Mancha) wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, before telling you how to remove all those kernels one little
>>> advice: find out why the heck all those packages got installed.
>>
>> Duh?  It seems to me that I get a new kernel on average well over once every
>> two weeks, so the simple answer to "why", is "because autoupdates are
>> enabled".
>>
>> It's not rocket science anyway.  Figure out which kernels you want (as long
>> as you have a working one, usually only one is needed), find the version
>> strings for all the rest, and purge them.
>
> It's not only that it was several version of one kernel it was several
> different kernels like generic, server and virtual and every one of
> those kernel had perhaps 4 versions so I think it's a valid questions.
> On a desktop you probably only need the generic kernel.

Also, on most cases kernel updates overwrites the last one. Just once
in a while you endup with two kernels on your system (by two kernels I
mean two generic ones, like 2.6.27-7-generic and 2.6.27-11-generic).
Another point to be noted is that, from my experience, kernel updates
are rolled mainly during the first two or three months after the
release, after that, usually, i don't see any kernel updates.

Cheers