Intalling mp3 support for amarok,wine,aptitude and synaptic

damy jayeola hectorssector2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 09:33:21 UTC 2009

 I'm new to Linux (Kubuntu kde 4.1). I tried playing mp3 files on amarok, a pop up came up informing me to install mp3 support(Libxine1-ffmpeg) ,when i click ok,it says the package has been installed then another window pops up saying there were errors installing the package. I downloaded the package and tried installing it manually with the code:
 cd Packages
 sudo dpkg --install libxine1.1.5-ffmpeg_i386.deb

It gave some errors about installing certain dependencies the first time i did this. The second time i tried,it didnt bring any errors about any dependency.Just told me that the package could not be installed.Its been doing this ever since

How do i install the package manually or otherwise?

Adept installer does not open and crashes each time it opens giving the signal SIGBRT6 or something like that,how do i fix this?

Also tried installing wine aptitude and synaptic manager but i get the message
"error installing package". What do i do?