Sound and updates on Kubutnu Hardy

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:03:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> This system was fine until I updated it.  Now it seems to be a mass of
> problems. :-(
>
> Currently I am struggling with sound and playing radio, both of which were
> fine before the upgrade.
>
> The radio is asking for realplayer.  This does not seem to be in the
> repositories I have got enabled.
>
> Which repository is it in?  Or would I do better to get the tarball or deb (if
> there is one)?
>
> And any ideas for sound?  The sound card is recognised and the correct driver
> is loaded.  I have carefully altered things in KMix - and then put them back
> when they didn't work.
>
> And how, oh how, on a previously stable distro did things go so disastrously
> wrong when I upgraded?? :-(
>
> Lisi

Realplayer is in the medibuntu repository if you want to use it. What
kind of sound are you trying to play that wants realplayer? It could
be that it is the file bindings that got swapped to another program
(happend for me sometimes). Look in System Settings->Advanced
tab->Filebindings and move the order of the programs to what you
prefered for the kind of file you want to play.

/ Jonas