excessive /boot entries

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:53:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 09:38:49 Alvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 April 2009 10:23:59 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > On investigation I found that there are about 60 kernels in /boot(1),
> > from which I imagine that menu.lst has retrieved its very long list.  Can
> > I safely remove most of the entries in /boot (rm foo), and then edit
> > menu.lst, and if so, which do I need to keep.  Not only are there more
> > kernels than seem necessary (or desirable!), but each seems to have too
> > many options.
> >
> > So:  Which entries should I keep?
>
> Keep in mind that these kernels are all installed packages. Keep the last
> one, or the last two and just purge the rest. The menu.lst will be adapted
> and you will gain some disk space.
>
> For example:
> $ sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.27-14
> linux-headers-2.6.27-14-generic linux-image-2.6.27-14-generic
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-14-generic
>
> Of course, do not remove your running kernel. You can check your kernel
> version with 'uname'.

How do I find out what the package name of each kernel is?  Or what else am I
doing wrong?(1) I have inserted blank lines between attempts for the sake of
legibility.

TIA
Lisi

1)root at localhost:/home/user# aptitude purge vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

root at localhost:/home/user# cd /boot
root at Kubuntu:/boot# aptitude purge vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

root at localhost:/boot# aptitude purge initrd.img-2.6.24-16-386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"initrd.img-2.6.24-16-386"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"initrd.img-2.6.24-16-386"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

root at localhost:/boot# aptitude purge linux-heaaders-2.6.24-16-386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"linux-heaaders-2.6.24-16-386"