excessive /boot entries

Alvin info at alvin.be
Wed Apr 1 08:38:49 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 10:23:59 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> This being someone else's computer I don't want to "suck it and see", which
> is probably what I would do on one of my own computers.
>
> So:  Last time I had this computer to work on (about a fortnight ago) I
> edited the overlong menu.lst to reduce the very large number of kernel
> options to a manageable number.
>
> Now, two weeks later, the list is again enormously long.
>
> On investigation I found that there are about 60 kernels in /boot(1), from
> which I imagine that menu.lst has retrieved its very long list.  Can I
> safely remove most of the entries in /boot (rm foo), and then edit
> menu.lst, and if so, which do I need to keep.  Not only are there more
> kernels than seem necessary (or desirable!), but each seems to have too
> many options.
>
> So:  Which entries should I keep?

Keep in mind that these kernels are all installed packages. Keep the last one,
or the last two and just purge the rest. The menu.lst will be adapted and you
will gain some disk space.

For example:
$ sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.27-14 linux-headers-2.6.27-14-generic
linux-image-2.6.27-14-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-14-generic

Of course, do not remove your running kernel. You can check your kernel
version with 'uname'.