Monitor Resolution

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 00:04:59 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 06:55:40 pm Brian Blater wrote:
> I recently purchased an Acer X223W 22" monitor. The monitor looks and
> works great with my MAC or Windows, but for the life of me I can not
> get it to function at full resolution (1680x1050) with linux. I'm
> running Kubuntu Ibex with an Nvidia 8600 GTS card and using the Nvidia
> 180.29 driver. I'm not a real xorg guru, but I at least have an idea
> of what things do what, but I just can't get this setup to run at full
> res - I get 1024x768.
>
> Can anyone give me some help getting this configured correctly to use
> the 1680x1050 resolution?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Brian
>
> Here is a copy of my xorg.conf
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Default Layout"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
>     Driver         "kbd"
>     Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
>     Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
>     Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "CorePointer"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "AcerX223W"
>     VendorName     "Acer"
>     ModelName      "X223W"
>     HorizSync       28.0 - 55.0
>     VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 8600 GTS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "AcerX223W"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "TwinView" "0"
>     Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
>     Option         "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0"
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option         "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection

Have you tried running the Nvidia X Server Settings utility as root?
It may not prompt you from the menu, but if you edit the menu it will.  Browse
to "System" then click on the icon, then select "Advanced" and put a check in
the "Run as a different user" with no id and save, it will prompt you.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.