KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Sep 29 16:27:27 BST 2008

On Monday 29 September 2008 8:15:54 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > Jonas Norlander wrote:

> >> That will not install any of the fonts from MS Office and they are the
> >> one you want.
> >
> > Then you are legally out of luck.
>
> Maybe...
>
> > Either you will have buy a license of windows and MS-office, as Robert
> > suggested, (which you do not use as a Linux User) or you'll need to
> > license the fonts.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/RedistributionFAQ.mspx
>
> I maintain that I _bought_ a license for Windows, and Word (not Office)
> when I got my laptop with preinstalled Windows.  I realize MS claims I
> can't actually use those within Linux, but they can sue me... (I wouldn't
> expect to win in the US, I _do_ expect to win in Canada).

If you have the fonts, copy them to a removable medium.  Insert the medium
into your Linux box.  Open the medium in konqueror.  Open a new tab in
konqueror and navigate to fonts://  Select the fonts you want to install and
drag and drop them into either the user or system folder under fonts://  Easy
as that.

If you put the fonts on a web site for public download you might get sued.  If
you try to sell them you might get sued.  But if you copy them personally
from one machine to another — and even write a letter to MS saying you are
doing that — you are highly unlikely to face a lawsuit.  That's not legal
advice.  No, no, no.  It is pragmatic common sense.

Oh, and some of the fonts you may want don't even belong to MS, but to
Bitstream, Adobe, etc.  MS is just a licensee.