KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:35:01 UTC 2008

2008/9/29 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> Want to have fun look at file size for 3 text documents between the big four.
> Word
> OO
> Kword
> Acrobat
>
> There load speed is about in that order too, starting with slowest. (I
> have not used word in years, so maybe it is faster now.)
> Their ability to open Word docs in about in that order too but I have
> heard that sometimes OO does better than word with opening old MS
> files.

not any faster, in MS office 2007, try pasting 2 pages, with at least
one picture in them, happy waiting :P it took about 1 minute on a 3.0
GHz CPU! OOo has only one problem with MS files, and that is fonts!
the use of different fonts by the 2 suites is really a problem. some
guy comes in with a MS office 2003 doc file, using some fancy font
(one of the fonts supplied by MS office, not a custom one), i open it
with OOo, and... looks horrible in some normal font. that's one of the
reasons i keep MS office installed on all my windows PCs, in case i
can't print it from kubuntu.

> Also OO used to open the whole office at the same time so that
> switching between writing and spread sheet did not mean any more

not sure about the version supplied by ubuntu, but the windows version
does. it starts blazing fast since it's always preloaded, and even
when not, switching application is fast.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems