Printing problem

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Sep 27 22:24:06 UTC 2008

On Saturday 27 September 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have an HP LaserJet 1020 which I want to use for several computers. I
> have it attached to a print server on my network. I can ping the print
> server just fine, and I installed it using CUPS. When I try to print a
> test page I get this error:
>
> Unable to write print data: Broken pipe
>
> I Googled this error, but so far all I have found is a lot of other
> people who got it, but not much in the way of solutions. Any idea where
> I can go with this next?

Most print servers use a special port for the printer, particularly if the
server will control more than one printer.  Have you checked in great detail
just how to use the print server?

For example, I have a print server that will handle two printers, and the
ports than it uses are  4010  and 4020 and the network address is
192.168.0.12.

You will need both the port number and ip address to access the print.

That's the best I can do with the information you have provided.