Konqueror problems

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 08:24:15 UTC 2008

>> Bleeding edge for me is all in the 3d graphics department and I don't
>> see that being a problem. On the other hand I have always upgraded but
>> perhaps my upgrade to hardy will be my last for some time. I have
>> heard nothing about KDE 4 that makes me think of it as being ready for
>> the real world. It is really crazy of them to force Dolphine on people
>> when it is not yet stable and to make Konq use Dolphine as the file
>> browser makes me feel mad. This is the first time I have ever felt
>> that way about *Ubuntu. I remember feeling like that about Madrake
>> right before it flopped.
>
> As a very long time Red Hat fan, Fedora just sucked the wind out of me
> as I spent more time maintaining a "bleeding edge" platform that blew up
> routinely with an over night upgrade. I really had some important stuff
> to do, and none was getting done patching up overnight problems. But, if
> you just want bleeding edge on the desktop and enjoy that kinda thing,
> it's the place to be for an experienced user. It's murder on a newbie
> though. So, I finally switched to Kubuntu as I didn't want to be forced
> into KDE4 and am perfectly happy with KDE3. I'm finally getting devel
> stuff done, and that is what I want to do with my computer. Use it as a
> useful tool. I agree that KDE has to grow and evolve. No question about
> it. I just happen to like the fact that Kubuntu remains stable for a
> much longer period of time than a distro like Fedora. I also have CentOS
> on another partition, but since I need Sun's JDK instead of openjdk,
> Kubuntu wins hands down for native support. My two cents. And yes, once
> KDE4 settles down and matures, I'll use it. Ric

Agreed, when KDE4 runs ever major bit of software just as well as 3
but with less cpu usage and less memory usage and does it without me
having to edit 20 files, I will switch also. If not then it is not an
improvement. I don't like eye candy, well I like it for a about 60
minutes, after that I want to get work done. If it improves my work
flow then I am all for it. If it improves beauty then that is good to
but not at the cost of many cpu cycles or memory. My computer is a
tool for doing things, the desktop is the bit for moving from tool to
tool and maybe helping with the transfer of data.

--
Douglas E Knapp