switching to kubunto first impressions and few questions

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 11:24:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

few days ago I posted those questions - can somebody answer them please!

---

I've been using debian for years now, but the stable version is rather recomended for server hardware, because it lacks support for modern hardware used on notebooks.
I've been using SuSE on my notebook, but it is pretty heavy, so few friends and linux experts recommended to go to k/ubuntu.

I've installed it the day before and the first impresion is pretty good, but I think I've expected much more. Despite of this that some expectations are unmet, I have few questions.

1) dhclient

When I did network restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
it said permission denied on /lib/dhcp3-client/call-dhclient-script.

I did ls -al /lib/dhcp3-client/call-dhclient-script

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root ssh 2960 2008-04-02 15:38 /lib/dhcp3-client/call-dhclient-script

Why the h* it has permissions root:ssh

I've installed another kubuntu and there it says

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dhcp 2960 2008-04-02 15:38 /lib/dhcp3-client/call-dhclient-script

2. wlan
After installation wireless worked fine. I've installed a bunch of programs and now I can not activate the wlan trough knetworkmanager.
Why? I was previously able to switch on/off by the hardware kill switch. What should I do to make it work
I've been using the old ipw3945 with ipw3945d, I don't know much about iwl*.
I read that few problems regarding this on dell notebooks will be solved in 2.6.27.

When I use the software or hardware kill switch (and I do this because I don't like wave transmissions around me) I have permanent syslog messages like

Sep 23 22:14:01 maistor kernel: iwl3945: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill switch
Sep 23 22:14:01 maistor kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:0c:00.0 disabled

It seems that there is link missing to ACPI. How can I get rid of it?

The only way I found to enable/disable wlan is following:

a) press the button for wireless control Fn+F2
b) run iwconfig txpower on
c) modprobe -r iwl3945; modprobe iwl3945 (this is necessary to initialize the driver. otherwise it says tx-power=-1Dbm)
d) enable wlan over knetworkmanager.

This is too much, especially as it requires superuser privileges. How can this be solved?
There are few systems that seem not to work smoothly together like dbus/hal/acpi/ifplug(udev). So I  think I am over-challenged with this. Any help is appreciated.

3) shutdown/reboot
When I reboot the system says sending TERM/KILL signal and it stays so for about a minute. Why?

4) dual monitor layout
Appart the fact that intel 945 has a stupid 3d limitation of screen size and when using two monitors there is no 3d acceleration I observed following. When I login with a new user it spannes the screen on both monitors. With my old user I can not do this and have to run xrandr manually. When I have the home on the local partition I put the xrandr script in .kde/Autostart and it works but when I have my home on nfs partition it does not. Where is the problem.

There are two other issues with this intel card and xrandr.

Who is responsible to extend the functionallity of the krandrtray, so a user can say use two desktops - I'm really missing it.
Also a feature for screen A left/right of screen B would be fine. Screen here is monitor of course.

thanks for all you help

regards