System Information

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 23:28:30 UTC 2008

Michael Salsman wrote:
> Steven,
>
> I know that this would be considered going to the dark side, but if
> you still had a Windoze O/S still installed on that laptop, you can
> get great information on what's inside the case with a utility called
> Belarc Advisor.  It's a free download for one machine, and can tell
> you all sorts of information about the hardware, as well as the
> software, operating system (as long as it's Microsoft).  I wish
> someone would write a utility like that for Linux.
>
> Check out http://www.belarc.com ....  It would be a good way to start
> if you already have Microsoft installed, and you are either getting
> ready to dump it for a GOOD operating system, or at a minimum set it
> up for dual-booting.
>
> Mike
>

> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 13:28 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I have been trying to find the components in my newly purchased used
>> Compaq Evo N620c laptop.  The information I want is name of motherboard,
>> memory limitations and type of memory, and other relevant system
>> information.  I operate Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.9.  My processor is an
>> Intel P4 1.8mhz M.  When I got similar information on XP, I went to
>> system information, I believe.  Is there something like that in
>> Kubuntu.  I don't seem to Google a suitable question.  Thanks!  Steven

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the thought.  I have been away from Microsoft long enough to
never want to go back.  I surely wouldn't pay money for the result.
Maybe someday I will be able to write such a program, who knows?  I
think it would be a good package too.  The one good thing that comes
from struggling through a problem like this is the things you learn.
You are no longer that little doggie in the back window of your car that
is always shaking its head in agreement.

Cordially,
Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired