Laptop email sending problem

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 23:23:10 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a used Compaq Ivo N620c laptop.  I configured the
>> email client the same as my desktop.  Both have Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE
>> 3.5.9.  Both run Firefox and Thunderbird as default.  When I attach my
>> DSL cable moden to the laptop, I am able to surf the internet, as well
>> as receive emails, however when I attempt to send an email, a window
>> opens asking the password for my email server.  I type in the password
>> an click enter and the selfsame window opens again and again.  I get an
>> unable to connect to the server also.  I have tried to get help from
>> att.yahoo, but they are not helpful because I am not using their mail
>> program or their browser and am using Kubuntu Hardy instead of Microsoft
>> or Apple.  I have used Kubuntu for 3 years with Firefox and Thunderbird
>> on my desktop with no problems.  The fact that I receive emails but
>> cannot send suggests that at least part of the program is working.  Help
>> please.
>>
>> Steven Vollom
>>

> I know this is a stupid suggestion BUT quadruple check your outgoing
> mail server settings [ smtp.att.yahoo.com ]. Also security setting.
> Whenever I've had that problem that's what I find. Usually I have hit
> comma instead of period. Find that after I've pulled out a few handfulls
> of hair.
>
> Isn't it just swell that so many people just refuse to help if your not
> a Microsofty. Actually, most of those people on the help line couldn't
> change their mind if it wasn't on their computer screen. All they know
> is what comes up after they punch in the issue. Click the "Yes/No"
> buttons to get to the next screen.

Dear Billie,

Tycho Andersen gave the selfsame instruction.  I cannot be any more
careful.  I checked slowly letter by letter, making sure no period was a
comma.  The configuration is correct.  I removed Thunderbird from my
laptop, restarted my computer and reinstalled Thunderbird.  The problem
remains.  Is there anything in the computer hardware that could have an
effect on the package or installation that you know of?  I am stumped.
I sure appreciate the prompt response by you and others, though.  I will
just have to wait and see if someone else has worked through the same
problem.

I am also having intermittent problems turning the computer on.
Sometimes when I shut down, I come back to a laptop that doesn't turn
back on.  Periodically I attempt to turn it on, hoping that it will
reconnect, and eventually it does.  Many times it starts without a
problem several times before that symptom returns; I have not been able
to find a solution to that problem either.  Do you think an electrical
short may be the cause and may have an effect when attempting to send?
It seems rediculous on the surface, but sometimes illogical thinking
spurs a different thought.  Anyway thanks for trying.

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired