Graphics cards

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 25 14:43:10 UTC 2008

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Can anyone remind me please how to check which graphics card my
> computer is using? Thanks. (Kubuntu Gutsy).

Usually you can find out with the command

lspci

in a terminal. Look for something like "VGA compatible controller".

> A second question - the manufacturer I hear most mentioned is nvidia.
> Is this the best one for us Linux users?

Depends on what you call "best". Personally I prefer onboard Intel
graphics because Intel supports open source drivers. But if that is no
option, I prefer Nvidia because IMHO their drivers are much better than
the ATI drivers. However, ATI is moving towards open source drivers for
their new cards - check the availability of drivers first if you want to
buy a new ATI card.

Nils