Laptop CPU freezes--hdparm and harddrive temps/cycles

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net
Wed Sep 24 12:59:08 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 11:25:53 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> >> nifty little tool, thanx!
> >>
> >> Incidentally I purchased a new CR2032 clock battery and installed
> >> yesterday...I do not know the mechanics of all that a new battery would
> >> affect, but my whole system seems to have settled down a bit since then.
> >> Coincidental?
> >>
> >> And...I bought an external hard drive and backed up all of my work.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > Well I got to nosing around all sorts of things......I have an average
> > load count of 12 cycles per hour on both of my harddrives (there are two
> > in my laptop).....hdparm -B is set to 254.  The laptop is 95% of the time
> > running on AC.  Seems 12 is a little high for AC?  Wondering if I am
> > getting temp problems relating to hard drive activity.
> >
> > Larry
>
> Larry,
>
> what do all the nifty dials of ksensors report in regard to load and
> cpu/hh temperatures?
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

there is only the CPU temp sensor listed in the program config window....this
fluctuates between 103-140ish, the high end when the CPU is crunched.  I
placed the simple system monitor applet on my panel and the system tray icon
for ksensors to watch the CPU activity in conjunction with the CPU temp.

I have smartmon tools installed--is there a gui related to this that is
convenient to mon hdd temp?  I do hear the occassional park click on one of
my harddrives every now and then, but am not counting anywhere close to 12 an
hour.

Larry