svn and cmake.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 23 17:53:00 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 12:21:30 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > First, I was disappointed in Kubuntu in several respects, not the
> > least of which the silly restriction against  signing on as root.
>
> Man, I get SOOO tired of people complaining about this.  There is
> no such restriction.  There is, however, a very well-thought policy
> that doesn't create a root login by default, and that policy has
> absolutely nothing to do with trying to prevent users from becoming
> root.  Why on earth did you bother to install Kubuntu if you want
> something completely different? (That question applies to using
> cutting-edge software, too - Debian/Ubuntu _don't_ provide the
> cutting edge packages, because they're not intended for users who
> are into experimenting at that level, and because it takes time to
> ensure that packages actually work in the distro's environment).
>
> > This list is probably not the right one to discuss the innards of
> > Debian testing so I'll look for a more appropriate one. Thanks
> > for your help with subversion. Guessing what Debian/Kubuntu calls
> > things is a bit of an art form.
>
> No, it's not.  It's simplicity itself.  "apt-cache search svn", or
> even just search in the default package manager.
>
> Still, since the project is called "subversion" (see
> http://subversion.tigris.org/), not "svn", it would seem that
> subversion would have been a pretty smart choice.
> --
> derek

Walk a yard or two in my moccasins. I have used Slackware since the
days when it came on floppy disk images.  Somewhere along the way it
abandoned Gnome. I became interested in a layout program called
Scribus and a drawing program called Illustrator.  Scribus uses Qt
and the current Illustrator requires some very up to date Gtk
packages. The developmental Scribus requires QT 4. I tried
modernizing my Slackware but the results were unsatisfactory.

I needed an OS that allowed easy access to recent gtk packages and
easy access to Qt4.  After years of use I didn't want to give up on
KDE.  Kubuntu seemed like a match. It was out of the Debian family
but featured KDE.

I recognized that it doesn't feature cutting edge programs but figured
I could bend it to my needs. No such luck.

So now I am trying Debian testing. So far not bad. Thanks to some
helpful answers here I will get the compiler package working right
and I still have hopes for cmake. Unfortunately that is a deal buster
for recent versions of Scribus. The developers think cmake  is the
greatest thing since jellybeans and have abandoned ./configure for
development versions of Scribus.

So thanks for all the help on this list and goodbye.  I have found a
more suitable path with Debian testing. (The stable Debian is behind
even Slackware in the up to date package area.)  There are a few
annoyances, like why do I have to fire up the net connection with a
separate action and why does my Slack partion show up several times
in Grub, but nothing there I can't live with.

If Kubuntu folks are tired  hearing about the lack of an easy way to
create root access they could always fix it in the install routine.
I figured out how to change root's password  in maintenance mode but
there is an elusive parameter somewhere that prohibits root logins
that I haven't found---and won't find it seems since I have  switched
to Debian.

Signing off now.
--
John Culleton