canonical to sell proprietary codecs!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:17:13 UTC 2008

2008/9/21 Willy K. Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
> i know that we in lebanon don't have to worry about these useless greedy
> patents. i was actually more worried that the release of such codecs on
> sale will mean their removal from medibuntu. if canonical is truly only
> interested in the *buntu experience of it's users, and want to provide a
> solution for those afraid of legalities, then it's a nice idea. but if
> they ever start thinking in terms of $$, they might close medibuntu, and
> that would, i guess, bring them a step closer to our friends in redmond.

Medibuntu is not maintained by, nor even affiliated with, Canonical so
far as I understand. Canonical cannot legally include said software,
so the community developed Medibuntu. However, Medibuntu is not an
option for OEMs (such as Dell) that will sell PCs with Ubuntu
preinstalled. Therefore, Canonical is offering the codecs in an
officially licensed package.

Furthermore, this protects Canonnical from allegations that it may
support software piracy.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com